Saturday 18 June 2011

New York, New York

In New York state, the controversy over legalized same-sex marriage is currently raging. They're within a hair's width of passing it; the vote was expected to come to a head yesterday, but as far as I've been able to determine, it's been delayed - possibly as a play by the GOP to delay the vote until next fall. I'm not 100% sure how it all works.

It seems that one more vote is still needed to make it happen, and it also seems that there are two more GOP senators still sitting on the fence. I have no doubt that the National Organization for Marriage, and other such groups, are leaning on them hard to oppose it, which is why we need to show them just how many people - in New York, America, and around the world - oppose the NO4M and their intolerant message. We need to show them that it's time for equality, and make the case that it needs to happen sooner rather than later. With that in mind, I sent the following email to the two undecided senators. I would urge everyone reading this, regardless of where you live, to do the same. Let's show them that in voting for legalization, they'll have the world behind them.


To: Mark Grisanti grisanti@nysenate.gov
Stephen Saland saland@nysenate.gov

I write to you today not as one of your constituents, but as a resident of the wider world. Your decision cannot affect my vote, as I have none in your election, but I urge to you hear the voices of the people not only in your state, or in your country, but people around the world who are watching the controversy going on in New York with deep interest.

As far as I'm aware, you're both GOP candidates who remain undecided on this important issue. I realize that voting in favour means crossing your party lines, and possibly alienating the more hard-line Republican voters. But I think you're aware that the anti-gay viewpoint is falling by the wayside at a nearly unprecedented rate. The push for civil rights and equality is growing stronger. As I'm sure you're aware, for the first time ever a majority of Americans, according to Gallup, stand in favour of making marriage available to all, without discrimination. This number has risen despite the vocal backlash against it, and will only continue to do so. By casting your votes in favour of granting equal rights to all your citizens, you will be showing your willingness to defend them against intolerance, and you will be shown to have been on the right side of history.

I believe you know that this will happen, sooner or later. As I've said, tolerance is increasing rapidly. I urge you to help make it happen sooner, rather than later. Set an example for the rest of your country. Show them that you care about all Americans, without prejudice about their sexuality.

As a final note, I ask you to look at the track record of my own country. I'm from Canada, born and raised; we legalized same-sex marriage across the nation in 2005, and it has had no adverse impact. Our society has not crumbled. Marriage has not been undermined. We have not descended into anarchy. We've merely extended equal rights to all of our citizens, and we're better off for it.

Please. I, and a growing majority of the citizens of your country and the world, urge you to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment